In September 2012 Goth Industrial artists, More Machine Than Man, returned with the full length album, Dark Matter. This twelve-song collection represents the most powerful and relevant songwriting of MMTM's long career. Dark Matter is a quantum leap forward in focus, production, and the possibility of wide commercial appeal.
More Machine Than Man wrote and developed Dark Matter between 2002 and 2012, in home studios, as they relocated from Boston to Louisville and then Seattle. More Machine recorded, produced and mixed the vast majority of this album themselves, but did collaborate again with En Esch (Slick Idiot, Pigface and KMFDM) and Romell Regulacion (Razed <in> Black). En Esch produced the guitar Industrial romps Deserve and Why?, as well as providing some vocal editing and processing on Nothing More and Stranger than Fiction. Romell Regulacion contributed additional keyboard performances on Stranger than Fiction.
As on earlier releases, More Machine Than Man covers a great deal of musical territory on Dark Matter. From uptempo, dance floor scorchers like Something Good, Why?, and Inside through angry, mid tempo stomps like Last Try and Break Out, to the emotional epics Nothing More, Rotten Wine, Heaven and Hell and The Darkest Days; MMTM refuses to repeat themselves while maintaining a cohesive sonic palette. The swing tinged Stitch incorporates Andrews Sisters style harmonies, exploding all attempts at categorization, while being the most appealing piece of song craft on Dark Matter.
More Machine Than Man continues to avoid the trend and cliché within the Goth Industrial genre that guarantees commercial viability, but MMTM draws more directly on the strong songwriting tradition of The Cure and Depeche Mode. The pop accessibility of MMTM songs is closely in line with crossover successes like Garbage and Nine Inch Nails. Though More Machine incorporates strong heavy metal elements, the overall effect of Dark Matter is similar to contemporaries IAMX and The Kills.
released September 1, 2012
All songs written by MMTM. All vocals written and performed by MMTM. • All instrumentals written and performed by MMTM. • All songs arranged and produced by MMTM. • All songs engineered and mixed by MMTM. • All songs mastered by Chris Hanzsek at Hanzsek A/V • All design, photography, art direction by MMTM.
1. ˆExcept additional vocals on Why? by En Esch (Slick Idiot).
2. ˆExcept synth and drum performances on Why? by En Esch (Slick Idiot).
2. ˆExcept additional synth and drum performances on Deserve by En Esch (Slick Idiot).
2. ˆExcept additional synth performances on Stranger than Fiction by Romell Regulacion (Razed <in> Black).
3. ˆExcept arrangement and production on Why? and Deserve by En Esch(Slick Idiot).
4. ˆExcept additional vocal editing & processing on Stranger than Fiction & Nothing More by En Esch (Slick Idiot).
4. ˆExcept engineering and mixing on Why? by En Esch (Slick Idiot).